Jaunty kernel amd64/i386 config changes

Scott James Remnant scott at canonical.com
Mon Dec 22 10:29:18 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2008-12-22 at 11:18 +0100, Loïc Minier wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 22, 2008, Andy Whitcroft wrote:
> > Perhaps we could reset it to something like 4 or 8 in this cycle so there
> > are some available for the odd application that does still use them, while
> > still saving buckets of mknods.  And whileh I guess them going away does
> > make it obvious an app is using them, perhaps we should go to 0 once we
> > think we have killed all users?
>
>  Unfortunately, ttyd/termnetd doesn't have any upstream anymore.  The
>  default Debian kernel doesn't set CONFIG_LEGACY_PTYS anymore, and I
>  only got one private report about it.  On the ttyd/termnetd front, I
>  think it's fair to move on and disable the config option, there doesn't
>  seem to be a load of users.  It will make it more obvious that this
>  package needs some new upstream to adopt it, or a replacement.

SuSE don't set it anymore either, and they haven't recorded any
complaints.

Sadly we can't just set it to a lower number either, it looks like ttyd
defaults to a randomly high number! :-/

(And to correct my original figure, it saves 512 mknod()s, since each
legacy pty has two device nodes!)

Scott
--
Scott James Remnant