Options for updates

Mario Limonciello superm1 at ubuntu.com
Wed Oct 24 17:21:09 UTC 2007

Ben Collins wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-10-23 at 19:15 -0500, Mario Limonciello wrote:
>> Kernel Team,
>>
>> I was wondering what options were available for patches to Gutsy's LUM
>> package.  There have been some issues reported with the lirc_pvr150
>> kernel module that was included in a patch earlier in the cycle
>> causing the system to freeze when it gets loaded.  There are newer
>> patches available that appear to resolve the issue.
>>
>> Will there be any stable release uploads for LUM?  If so, would it be
>> possible for me to include a patch like this, or are there
>> requirements as to what types of patches will be included in such
>> uploads?  This patch doesn't add any new features, just allows the
>> module to be loaded.
>>
>> If an update to LUM isn't available, will I be able to do something
>> like this be includable in linux-backport-modules?
>
> A crash is pretty serious, especially if it's in a module that will be
> autoloaded when hardware is present. We'd be willing to accept a patch
> under these conditions.

Ben,

I am attaching a patch right now.  I had built this on my PPA (under the version
number linux-ubuntu-modules-2.6.22 - 2.6.22-14.40~ppa1 so that it will still be
upgradeable after a SRU is released) and had one of the affected users test it
out.
They had told me that it worked for them and prevented the system freeze.

Thanks,

--
Mario Limonciello
superm1 at ubuntu.com