Sound issues

Tim Gardner tim.gardner at canonical.com
Mon Oct 1 14:14:30 UTC 2007

Matthew Garrett wrote:
> We've got a large number of non-working sound bugs open, most of which
> seem to be fixed with newer ALSA drivers. Several of these seem to be
> regressions from feisty. There's been pretty much no feedback from us on
> many of these - what are the plans for gutsy at this point? It looks
> like it's actually some effort to find a new machine with working sound
> right now...

I agree. I suggested to Ben a couple of weeks ago that ALSA be made part
of linux-ubuntu-modules. That makes it easier to update more frequently
then the kernel. The current method of back-porting codec quirks is
wholly inadequate.

However, the first time Kyle tried to update just snd-hda-intel to
current ALSA was pretty traumatic. Do we know that ALSA 1.0.15rc2 won't
cause the same problems? It does look like ALSA libraries and utilities
have been stable since 1.0.14, so they ought not cause any problems.

Tim Gardner tim.gardner at ubuntu.com