Linux module compilation

Sachin Gaikwad sachin.kernel at gmail.com
Fri Nov 30 16:16:30 UTC 2007

Hi all,

I am very new to ubuntu kernel compilation stuff. I apologize in
advance if this is very novice question. But I did search a lot for it
on google/ubuntu site/forums/ arhieve.

I did read wiki page of kernel compilation:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Kernel/Compile

What I want to do ?
1) I want to generate vmlinux and initrd.gz files (for generic flavour)
2) I also want to build linux ubuntu modules.

What I did ? What problems ?

1) I downloaded the sources through git
git clone git://kernel.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ubuntu-gutsy.git ubuntu-gutsy
git clone git://kernel.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ubuntu-gutsy-lum.git ubuntu-gutsy-lum

2) Followed wiki procedure for compilation of kernel. But it need to
create .deb packages. I do not want to create these packages - I just
want vmlinux and initrd images. How can I do this ?

3) Wiki page mentions that for building lum, we must install
headers*.deb, hence it seems that I can not try usual kernel
compilation process(make menuconfig, make, make install). Is there any
way to build lum sources WITHOUT installing headers and new built
kernel ?

4) I just want to build generic flavour of it. So I copied my
.config(configuration I want) to debian/config/i386/config.generic.
And followed wiki procedure. It builds the kernel. I dint do
debian/rules updateconfig. What is this needed for  ?

5) I also want to do cross compilation. i.e compile 32bit kernel(i386)
on a 64-bit machine. How can I do this ? Again I dont want to install
the kernel do build lum sources.

Any help in this regard would be helpful.

Thanks & Regards,
Sachin Gaikwad