First kernel upload for gutsy...priceless

Chuck Short zulcss at gmail.com
Fri May 4 18:02:42 UTC 2007

On 5/4/07, Matt Zimmerman <mdz at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> [...]
> > > (to a desktop user) ways.  The metapackages are convenient, but they have
> > > not been a panacea, and we already have occasional problems of this type
> > > with l-r-m.
> >

> > The linux-image-generic package will depend on the matching kernel image
> > and ubuntu modules.
> >
> > This means that it is impossible for someone to perform an upgrade from
> > feisty and get linux-image-2.6.22-1-generic, but not get
> > linux-ubuntu-modules-2.6.22-1-generic. There is nothing to cause the
> > kernel image to get updated without also bringing in the modules.
> >
> > For them to get linux-image-2.6.22-1-generic without
> > linux-ubuntu-modules-2.6.22-1-generic, would mean they did not have
> > linux-image-generic installed, and manaually installed the kernel image.
>
> As I noted above, we have already seen problems like this in the field.
> Users do end up without the metapackages installed, and with unexpected
> combinations of packages.  Users can and do manually install packages for
> one reason or another.  I did it with 2.6.22-1-generic, and if I hadn't
> happened to know first-hand what you were up to, I would have been very
> confused indeed.
>
> A user who has linux-image-2.6.20-15-generic won't realize that
> linux-image-2.6.22-1-generic is something quite different from a later
> version of the same tree.  We should always be very careful when changing
> the semantics of a package without changing its name, because it will clash
> with user expectations.  In this case, the price of unmet expectations can
> be, at worst, a system which doesn't boot.
>
> The only way to reliably avoid inconsistency is with strict dependency
> relationships.  If foo 1.0 is equivalent to foo 1.1 + bar 1.1, it's
> appropriate for foo 1.1 to depend on bar.  Consider dpkg and dselect for an
> example of a similar situation, and the care with which it was handled.
>
> > > What happens if the patch fails to apply, or the patched source fails to
> > > build?  How does it affect the build time for kernel uploads?
> >
> > In order to get these patches in, I required that they be backed by our
> > community both in some measurable man power and in infrastucture. So
> > bugs on these packages, and patching issues that arise in them will be
> > handled by these teams (Ubuntu Studio and ubuntu-xen for example). If
> > issues can't be fixed, then the flavour will get disabled. Once we get
> > near release, we will evaluate the flavour for whether or not it will
> > remain for release.
>
> This is disconcerting to me.  Once these patches are incorporated into a
> stable release, Canonical is committed to supporting them even if the teams
> behind them wane and disappear.  If a security patch conflicts with one of
> them, this could seriously delay the testing and release of critical
> updates.
>
> Wouldn't it be wiser to keep these separate?  If these secondary flavours
> were provided by another source package in universe, this would avoid

In the Xen case, since the xen kernel is going to be based off of
2.6.22. it would be difficult to keep up with the the ubuntu kernel
source with a separate source package in universe. Since I would have
to generate a new source each time figure out what has changed and
merge the xen bits into the new kernel.  With the new build system in
place I just have to generate a patch that uses all of the shiny bits
that we have.

If something does break Ben can tell me that it broke and it has been
disabled. In this case I would get the latest tree from git, build it,
see where it broken update the xen patch and resubmit the patch to be
enabled.