Some comments about restricted drivers.

Loïc Faure-Lacroix loicfl at gmail.com
Wed Mar 28 00:50:20 UTC 2007

It would be fun to ear or something. Because there is something really
annoying about restricted drivers i found on ubuntu.

First, i don't actually understand why ipw3945d is contained with a package
that contain nvidia driver and madwifi drivers etc.
These mixup make things really harder for us to upgrade our drivers.

I'm actually making my own. Debian package for edgy for the nvidia 9755
But i seriously don't understand why these packages are mixed up. If they
weren't made this way, it would be painless to make a driver package for
nvidia or wifi drivers etc.
People would have to install only the drivers they need. Actually, for
making my nvidia card work, i have to modify something like 3 packages
because the nvidia drivers are separated in 3 different package.
nvidia-kernel nvidia-modules nvidia-glx there was an other one into that
seemed not to need modification.... nvidia-kernel-common

I say that because it would be interesting to use an other way to group
these package for feisty fawn....
One of the big problem is that when uninstalling these nvidia packages. I
have to uninstall my wifi deamon.
I did it one time and got stuck because i wouldn't be able to update my
distro without it. So for making my package i have to take care of my wifi.
It's not that i don't understand why i would need to take care of my wifi
card just because i try to make a nvidia package that would be available for
more people.
But in fact, having a restricted-module package is just stupid.
It would be far more easier to maintaint. One or more package that contain
only one thing.
group of package for nvidia something like nvidia-libs
nvidia-bin....nvidia-glx...
having other for madwifi ipw3945 etc.
But having 1 package that contain part of others package is not usefull. If
someone wants to upgrade his wifi card driver with new drivers that aren't
actually out. And he want to make a clean package so his computer isn't
messed up with binaries every where like .run files does. It's a real pain
to have to look at what package contain any information about my driver so i
know what package i need to delete. Then see that one package contain an
other driver that you need so you cant completely delete it.
Oh well then include it in the package you're making. Well you could look at
fedora's repos that are made really nicely. Everything is simple to maintain
etc. I never seen something as wierd as this.

Thank you. I would appreciate any feedback or explanation on why of this. :)