kernel upgrade erases /boot/grub/menu.lst changes

Robert Grasso robert.grasso at modulonet.fr
Thu Jun 14 05:32:08 UTC 2007

Hello,

I am new to Ubuntu (I was with Mandriva before). If this is not the correct
list where I should submit my request, could you tell me to whom I should
submit it ?

Here it is :

as an old Unix sysadmin, I want to see every boot detail. Thus
in /boot/grub/menu.lst, I always remove the boot options "quiet"
and "splash". Alas, each time I install a new kernel upgrade, not only are my
changes not reported onto the new kernel line, but they are undone on my old
kernel line, where quiet and splash are restored.

Is this done on purpose ? I mean : when one knows what he's doing, why not
take into account his changes and comply with them ? Or is there an option I
did not discover yet, helping me getting what I am expecting ?

Best regards
--
Robert Grasso
@home