Revisit adding lirc modules to kernel tree

Mario Limonciello superm1 at ubuntu.com
Wed Jul 11 08:11:51 UTC 2007

Hi Guys,

I was looking to revisit a bug that was opened up shortly before
Feisty's release
(https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux-source-2.6.20/+bug/69534).
 I had wanted to add the misc lirc  modules to the Ubuntu build tree so
that users didn't have to use module assistant to rebuild after every
kernel update.

Shortly after the last kernel freeze, Arnaud and the UMC team left this
note on the bug report:

> This bug will be addressed upstream by a sub project of the Ubuntu Media Center Team.
>
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/RemoteControls
>
> I have already started to discuss with Christoph Bartelmus (LIRC project leader) and Jon Smirl, who has started some work.
> Kernel hackers needed. If you're interested in, contact me back.

When I read this, I thought it would be great since it would alleviate
the need for my patch from previous.  Now as we near alpha 3, its
appearing as though this won't be happening for Gutsy.  The Wiki page
above describes that 'drivers recompilation' is "Under Investigation"
and "not started (0 %)".   I attempted to contact Arnaud a few days ago,
but have not received a response with an update.

These modules not making it into some form of the kernel tree is going
to turn into a blocker for Mythbuntu's release unless we regularly check
gutsy-changes for new kernel releases and regularly rebuild modules to
place on a third party repository.  Clearly this isn't the preference,
as all our other packages are being uploaded directly into archives.

So my question would be, if I was to update that patch to the new lirc
release (0.8.2), could it feasibly be applied to the Ubuntu kernel tree?
 (I'd prefer to get a +1 from you guys prior to actually doing this).
If the lirc stuff does manage to make it into the kernel, this patch can
obviously be dropped.  I'd be happy to maintain it for this release and
any additional releases until lirc is in the mainline kernel.

Thanks,

Mario Limonciello