git tree troubles?

Matt Price matt.price at utoronto.ca
Mon Nov 27 17:25:31 UTC 2006

Hi,

After a recent update to a local git tree (first update since edgy) I
notice major changes to my tree, for instance ipw3945 is totally
missing.  Not sure if this is purposeful so I tried creating a new git
tree and ran into serious problems multiple times.

the command:
cg-clone
rsync://rsync.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/bcollins/ubuntu-2.6.git ubuntu-clean

gave what look to be several thousand errors of the type:

error: git-checkout-index: unable to read sha1 file of
ubuntu/wireless/rtl_ieee80211/LICENSE
(5f297e5bb465a11508b46446fbb5dc05b6d13c35)

then failed with:
cg-fetch: initial checkout failed

I haven't used git much so I can't be sure what exactly the issue is,
but a similar command applied to linus's repo works fine.

if anyone could give guidance I'd appreciate it.

--
Matt Price
History Dept
matt.price at utoronto.ca