kernel crash on Intel(R) Xeon(TM) CPU 2.66GHz 4-cpus machine

Jean-Eric Cuendet jec at rptec.ch
Fri Aug 25 11:10:42 UTC 2006

> it's almost four days that two processes (simulations) are running on
> the two processors of my machine, with hypertrading disabled. No more
> freezes! I suspect this implies two possible explanations:

Fine!

> 1) two simulations instead of four means also a lower use of memory,
> therefore an eventual physical memory problem does not show up; anyway
> it says that the current memory use is
>
>    Mem:   1034712k total,   910956k used,   123756k free,   184972k buffers
>    Swap:  1951888k total,      220k used,  1951668k free,   322360k cached
>
>  (that is: phys. memory is almost entirely used)

It's always the case with Linux. It uses "not needed for apps" memory to
cache disk files. So the whole memory is always used, but immediately
freed if an app needs memory.

> 2) there is a problem with kernel 2.6.15-26-686 together with
> hypertrading (or a problem with the hypertrading feature of my machine)
>
> Have you any kind of definitive test to discriminate between these two
> hypothesis?

Not really...
The memory thing can be eliminated by memtest86. Have you let it run a
whole night or even a whole weekend?
For the HT, I won't bet on that... That will just add 2 more
"processors" in the system, so it could better trigger a bug in the
scheduler for example. But HT per se, is not IMO the problem.
Let your simulations run till the end, and hope everything is OK.
-jec

--
Best regards / Salutations.

Jean-Eric Cuendet