kernel crash on Intel(R) Xeon(TM) CPU 2.66GHz 4-cpus machine

Andrea Puglisi Andrea.Puglisi at roma1.infn.it
Fri Aug 25 10:14:46 UTC 2006

Hi Jean-Eric,

it's almost four days that two processes (simulations) are running on the
two processors of my machine, with hypertrading disabled. No more freezes!
I suspect this implies two possible explanations:

1) two simulations instead of four means also a lower use of memory,
therefore an eventual physical memory problem does not show up; anyway it
says that the current memory use is

    Mem:   1034712k total,   910956k used,   123756k free,   184972k buffers
    Swap:  1951888k total,      220k used,  1951668k free,   322360k cached

  (that is: phys. memory is almost entirely used)

2) there is a problem with kernel 2.6.15-26-686 together with hypertrading
(or a problem with the hypertrading feature of my machine)

Have you any kind of definitive test to discriminate between these two
hypothesis?

  Ciao

  Andrea