kernel crash on Intel(R) Xeon(TM) CPU 2.66GHz 4-cpus machine

Jean-Eric Cuendet jec at rptec.ch
Fri Aug 18 14:59:19 UTC 2006

> I wont rule out that it is a kernel problem. I have a xeon system as
> well, but I'm running the 64-bit Ubuntu on it. Perhaps you want to run
> this as well.

Xeon is just the server version of the Pentium4, often with SMP
capabilities. That doesn't mean it's 64 bits...
And since his machine is 3 years old, I think it's not a 64bits capable
one...

> When it froze, were you in X or on the console? If you were in X, this
> could explain why you didn't see any messages. Attempting to reproduce
> the freeze while at the console would be advisable.

You could also send the syslog to a remote machine, so if there is a
disk problem, you have more chances getting the log message if any.
Ben, would the kdump kernel be useful in this situation?
-jec