kernel crash on Intel(R) Xeon(TM) CPU 2.66GHz 4-cpus machine

Jean-Eric Cuendet jec at rptec.ch
Fri Aug 18 14:23:28 UTC 2006

> you mean a hardware failure could have provoked the crash and no messages
> have been written in any logfile?

Of course. Think of memory failure. Or NIC causing bad interrupt which
panic the kernel.
In these cases, first thing is to do a memtest86 test. You have it in
GRUB at startup.
That said, it could very well be a kernel bug also. Don't know.

> Right now the machine is up again and I am working on it. How could I
> find out which is the problem?

Hard...
Test memory. That's the main cause I've seen that freeze the machine.
Also, just to be sure, what is the machine? Dell? Have you a SCSI RAID
card? PERC3?
I had problems with that kind of hardware...
-jec