Compiling the dapper kernel

Peter Mann Peter.Mann at tuke.sk
Thu Aug 17 10:49:21 UTC 2006

On Thu, Aug 17, 2006 at 08:30:28PM +1000, Tony Lewis wrote:
> Peter Mann wrote:
> > On Thu, Aug 17, 2006 at 07:25:06PM +1000, Tony Lewis wrote:
> >
> >> It would appear that the linux-686 version is old.  If I wget the
> >> package, it's dated 11 July.  Doesn't that indicate that these packages
> >> are lacking the latest security updates?
> >>

> > no, because linux-686 is only meta-package ...
> >

> Ahh...:

> Fair enough then, and thanks.  Still trying to resolve why the
> KernelGitGuide method and the KernelCustomBuild on the wiki don't seem
> to work for the Ubuntu kernel.  Or, the official method for recompiling
> the dapper kernel.

i don't know about some special method for recompiling dapper kernel ...

try apt-get install linux-source ... and then tar xzf or tar xjf, copy
/boot/config-x.y.z to /usr/src/linux-x.y.z/.config, make oldconfig, make
menuconfig, make-kpkg --revision 2006.08.17 kernel-image ... done

i'm using this method many years in debian ... sometime i'm using
vanilla kernel instead apt-get install linux-source ...

5o   Peter.Mann at tuke.sk