Compiling the dapper kernel

Tony Lewis gnutered at yahoo.com.au
Wed Aug 16 12:15:21 UTC 2006

I hope this is the best place to post this.

I'm trying to compile the standard dapper kernel.  My reason is to get
SMP working on my dual core laptop - the 2.6.15-26-386 kernel doesn't
have SMP enabled.  The last kernel that does have SMP is a couple of
revisions behind.

So I tried following the wiki page for KernelCustomBuild
<https://wiki.ubuntu.com/KernelCustomBuild?highlight=%28CategoryKernel%29>
and KernelGitGuide
<https://wiki.ubuntu.com/KernelGitGuide?highlight=%28CategoryKernel%29>
for fetching the ubuntu-dapper source (not the edgy code).  Then trying
to run the command:
    AUTOBUILD=1 fakeroot debian/rules binary-debs

shows that lots of the debian directory is missing.  I pulled the
ubuntu-2.6 repo through git, and just started copying the missing files
across, but I think that won't work.

So, what's the best way to build exact replica of the Dapper kernel
packages?

Tony Lewis