official course of action for features of newer kernels

Ben Collins bcollins at ubuntu.com
Fri Aug 4 16:47:31 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-08-04 at 09:14 +0200, mark jackson wrote:
> Dear Kernel-Team!
>
> Could you please explain me in short words how the kernel is managed;
> i have seen the changelog for the current version here:
>
> http://changelogs.ubuntu.com/changelogs/pool/main/l/linux-source-2.6.15/linux-source-2.6.15_2.6.15-26.45/changelog
>
> it seems to me that you are backporting some things from current
> official kernels ( very good!);
>
> but still the situation is not so clear for me;
>
> * when is something backported and when not?

Usually when a bug report is filed, and the fix is clear and tested, and
not very intrusive.

> * how is it about current hardware?

Not sure of the question, but generally the dapper kernel works with all
current hardware. Sometimes we need to add new PCI id's to existing
drivers, but that's about it.

> * and how is the relation to current kernels in debian-unstable;

No relation at all.

--
Ubuntu     - http://www.ubuntu.com/
Debian     - http://www.debian.org/