KernelFreeze, 2.6.14, UBZ agenda, and other bits

Ben Collins ben.collins at ubuntu.com
Wed Oct 5 15:16:28 UTC 2005

On Mon, Oct 03, 2005 at 09:06:13AM +0200, Jean-Eric Cuendet wrote:

> >Generally, you can install the kernel .deb's from one release to the
> >prior. I can't guarantee it will install, but if it does install, it will
> >almost certainly boot.
>
> Yes, normally....
> But for Hoary, Breezy kernels won't install. Because it needed newer
> modutils which needed newer glibc...
>
> That's just a dependency problem, nothing more. Probably a rebuild on
> Breezy will do the trick if Dapper kernel doesn't install.
>
> It would be nice if there could be an apt repo just containing the
> Dapper kernel, so it's easy to put it in sources.list on Breezy. What do
> you think?
> Or am I alone in willing to test the Dapper kernel on Breezy?

I'm more than willing to entertain the idea of making the development
kernel easier to test. My fear is that we may encounter bugs when running
the kernel on breezy, that are simple because of supporting programs
needed from dapper (API changes for kernel/userspace communications, like
IEEE-1394, USB, and such). Some things may need to be recompiled with
recent kernel headers in order to work properly.

I don't want to be slowed down by bugs like this when the kernel works as
expected under dapper.

--
   Ben Collins <ben.collins at ubuntu.com>
   Developer