Badram kernel patch for Dapper?

Andrew Zajac arzajac at gmail.com
Thu Nov 10 01:51:17 UTC 2005

Hello.

Would it be possible to include the badram kernel patch as part of a stock
kernel for Dapper?

http://rick.vanrein.org/linux/badram/

http://rick.vanrein.org/linux/badram/download.html

I have tried the 2.6.12 patch and it seems to work fine and not cause any
problems, although I have not tested it extensively.

It is problematic to swap out the ram in a machine to install the OS and
then install the badram patched kernel to be able to run it with the bad ram
stick(s). Ideally, this feature should be in the kernel on the cd from which
the user would boot. They could run memtest, input the parameters once and
then install.

I think this could allow a lot of users who own failing or recycled hardware
to run Ubuntu. I think it could benefit some users who would run the planned
"light" version of edubuntu which would be built on top of Xubuntu.

As well, it is a really big selling point which goes against the trend set
by other operating systems which neccessitate a hardware upgrade to properly
run the latest version.

Andrew.