Distributed Compile?

Thibaut Varene faucon.millenium at gmail.com
Tue May 3 13:42:29 UTC 2005

On 5/3/05, Chris Fazekas <chris at fazekas.net> wrote:
> >> Woke up last night with an thought.  From what I understand, it is
> >> possible to build a kernel on a cluster of machines, so in theory it
> >> would
> >> be possible to do so on a distributed.net type system using peoples free
> >> CPU time.  Does this seem possible?  And would it be extremely complex?
> >>
> >> Just wondering because it would be nice to have a way of superfast
> >> compiling test kernels (and applications etc).  Not saying my 3GHZ isnt
> >> fast, but its no supercomputer (cluster).
> >>

> > Hi
> >
> > This list is not intended for that kind of questions please, this is a
> > development list.
>
> As the question was sort of related to kernel development (compiling?)
> this list seemed appropriate, though, I did not mean to offend anyone.  I

You did not ;) But imho "compilation" issues, and what's more,
"special type of compilation" isn't a development issue. It's not even
kernel specific.

> was mearly looking at ways to increase kernel build times, overall this
> would help with kernel development (if it was feasible).
>
> > Aside the various reasons (that I will not list) why what you suggest
> > is quite frankly completely insane, and not feasible, if you want to
> > distribute a compilation on several of your machines, I think you
> > might be looking for something like "distcc".
>
> We'll I have been described as completely insane before, so I guess that
> my ideas are too.  Thanks for the pointer to distcc.

Given what you said ("*de*crease kernel build times"), I think this is
really what you're looking for. And it's not kernel specific, either
:)

HTH

--
Thibaut VARENE
Ubuntu, Debian and Kernel Hacker

<jbailey> Insert tab A into slot B doesn't take too long to figure
out.  Leave a couple horny kids in a room for an hour, they don't need
instructions.