Kernel Patch for VIA VT6410 IDE RAID CONTROLLER + devel questions

Fabio Massimo Di Nitto fabbione at ubuntu.com
Tue Apr 26 01:10:21 CDT 2005

Hi

Chris Fazekas wrote:
> Chuck,
>
> Thanks for your response, and for adding the patch into breezy (which I am
> now running).
>
> I hope you and others on this list don't mind a general question regarding
> Ubuntu kernel development, and an offer to help out.
>
> Question:
>
> What is the rough time frame for a release of a new (or patched) kernel
> that includes new device driver patches into a 'stable' release of Ubuntu?

There is no such a thing. Updates to stable releases will only include
security or critical bug fixes.

> Offer:
>
> I would be interested in learning more about the Ubuntu kernel development
> structure, assisting with patching (to include some of the important
> device drivers that would otherwise take a while to make it to a full
> release version), and testing of daily snapshot kernels.

We usually talk a lot on IRC (#ubuntu-kernel on irc.freenode.net), but
you can start getting the sources and look at how they are builded.

> I am not a kernel expert by any means, but I will do what I can to assist
> this Distro.  If this group feels that I could be of assistance that is.
>
> Thanks again,

Test is essential in the release process, so any help in that direction
is GOOD.

Fabio