patch naming policy

Fabio Massimo Di Nitto fabbione at ubuntu.com
Tue Apr 5 16:13:43 UTC 2005

Hi everybody,

as i was talking with some guys on IRC, it would be a very good idea to enforce a strict
naming policy for our patches. This is my proposal..

Right now we are using only a single delimiter that is:

stolen-from-head_*.dpatch

I think we can organize our patches a lot better than how it is now,
if for example we can start adding other prefixes like:

driver - to apply extra patches to kernel drivers that are not upstream yet or stolen from other
~         upstreams.
edriver- to cover an external 3rd part driver that must be documented in debian/external-drivers
fs-     for extra filesystems
and so on..

Note the prefix 'e' to underline the 'external'.

The applying patch order will always be the same:

stolen-from-head-
all patches that are not ^e-external.
all the external drivers/patches.

The apply order will respect the actual one with stolen-from-head that must always
be applied before the others and the others to be rediffed on top.

I have rarely seen patches that were touching more than one kernel TOPDIR at the same time
(exception for include/) so i would say that the dirs in TOPDIR could easily define
the first set of delimiters..

the second part should usually be a very short explanation of what the patch does.
Reserve all the comments for a detailed changelog entry.

Fabio

- --
Self-Service law:
The last available dish of the food you have decided to eat, will be
inevitably taken from the person in front of you.