[Bug 30640] Re: Displayed progress not correct due to kernel fs cache. Need O_SYNC when copying files.
psusi at cfl.rr.com
Mon Nov 1 01:04:39 UTC 2010
Actually now in Maverick when I try this, the copy reaches 100% then
sits there for several seconds while it appears that an fsync is done to
flush the cache. I think that solves the original problem, though it
would be nice if the progress did not reach 100% prematurely and then
wait for the sync.
** Changed in: linux (Ubuntu)
Status: Incomplete => Invalid
** Changed in: nautilus (Ubuntu)
Importance: Low => Wishlist
** Description changed:
- When copying files to an usb stick the progress is not displayed
- correctly. The progress bar shows that it is finished but when plugging
- the usb stick out and in the files are not on the usb stick. When
- waiting for some time after copying the files the files are really on
- the stick.
- This problem is especially acute for slow usb sticks, but the progress
- bar is wrong in all cases since it is only reporting progress of the
- kernel to accept the writes into its cache. Nautilus should use O_SYNC
- on the destination file so it will be informed of the progress properly.
+ While copying files, the progress bar is wrong in all cases since it is
+ only reporting progress of the kernel to accept the writes into its
+ cache. As a result, it reaches 100% before the copy is actually
+ finished, and then appears to wait for an fsync before going away.
+ Nautilus should use O_SYNC on the destination file so it will be
+ informed of the progress properly.
Displayed progress not correct due to kernel fs cache. Need O_SYNC when copying files.
You received this bug notification because you are a member of Kernel
Bugs, which is subscribed to linux in ubuntu.
More information about the kernel-bugs