[Bug 290885] Re: SRU: Backport of Boot Degraded RAID functionality from Intrepid to Hardy
dustin.kirkland at gmail.com
Wed Oct 29 22:09:47 UTC 2008
I have some very preliminary, working packages in my PPA, available for testing. See:
If you have some spare hardware or virtualization at your disposal, and
you're willing and able to test these packages on a non-critical
development/test system, I would appreciate hearing your experience.
The test case is essentially as follows:
1. Install Ubuntu 8.04.1 LTS (Hardy Heron) onto a software RAID1 configuration
2. Update your package list, upgrade all packages, dist-upgrade, and reboot
3. Add my PPA to your /etc/apt/sources.list, update your package list, and pull my updated Hardy packages
4. Re-install grub to your RAID device, "grub-install /dev/md0" or whatever might be appropriate
5. Reboot with both disks (ensure this continues to work)
6. Reboot, with only the first of the two disks (you should be prompted if you'd like to boot or not; first test answering "No"; reboot and test answering "Yes")
7. Reboot with only the second of the two disks, and again test both the "No" and "Yes" behavior
8. Reboot with both disks attached, and one disk should be "missing" from the array since they are now out of sync, having each been booted independently. Add the missing disk back to the array with something like "mdadm /dev/md0 --add /dev/sdb1", and let it re-sync.
Please post any positive or negative testing results against my PPA
packages as a comment to this bug.
SRU: Backport of Boot Degraded RAID functionality from Intrepid to Hardy
You received this bug notification because you are a member of Kernel
Bugs, which is subscribed to initramfs-tools in ubuntu.
More information about the kernel-bugs