[Bug 110636] Re: hdparm - cannot set dma on IDE hard drive that works via pata
ccooke-ubuntubugs at gkhs.net
Mon Feb 25 12:11:19 UTC 2008
Since it's now almost certainly too late to fix in Gutsy, I've added the
hardy kernel as 'Incomplete'. I've also done a little research into the
problem; it appears to be a known problem with libata and certain
The link above suggests several remedies to the problem:
* Recommended (where BIOS permits): Change BIOS IDE mode from "legacy" or "combined" mode to "AHCI" (recommended), "RAID" or "native".
* Boot with the kernel commandline parameter "combined_mode=libata" or "combined_mode=ide" to allow the specified driver to claim all IDE ports.
* Disable libata (CONFIG_ATA) entirely, and enable CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDE_SATA.
* (newer choice, with less field testing) Disable CONFIG_IDE, and permit libata to run all your IDE and SATA ports.
What we need now is confirmation that these workarounds - *particularly*
the recommended one - work with the bug. Since Hardy is now the
development version, it would be most helpful to receive notification
that the bug is still present *IN HARDY*, *AFTER* the fixes are in place
- although I'm sure we'd prefer to hear that this *does* fix it.
** Changed in: linux (Ubuntu)
Sourcepackagename: linux-source-2.6.24 => linux
Status: New => Incomplete
hdparm - cannot set dma on IDE hard drive that works via pata
You received this bug notification because you are a member of Kernel
Bugs, which is a bug assignee.
More information about the kernel-bugs