[Bug 129910] Re: Blank ttys when using vesafb (vga=xxx)
loye.young at iycc.net
Fri Feb 15 22:24:51 UTC 2008
To my fellow framebuffer-deprived penguins:
I feel your pain, and agree that this needs to be fixed. However,
if you are trying to figure out how to troubleshoot to get your
framebuffer working, it's probably best to submit a question to the
forums. This should venue should really be reserved for reporting or
helping to fix bugs.
You'll need to provide more information for the community to be able
to help. Some relevant information would be:
1. Which video driver are you running under X, and which version?
2. Which framebuffer drivers are you running on the console? Open up
a virtual terminal (while running X), and type:
$ lsmod | grep fb
3. Are you loading the agpgart module?
$ lsmod | grep agp
4. When you "switch to tty", how are you switching? (It turns out
that there are several ways to do it, and they have different effects
on switching back and forth.) Is the result the same on each of tty1
5. What does your boot command say? (The line towards the end of
/boot/grub/menu.lst that starts with "kernel" for your default boot
6. What do the files /etc/modules and /etc/initramfs-tools/modules say?
7. What does your log file say? (Don't send the whole thing, just
look for any relevant messages.)
8. Which of the blacklist items did you blacklist?
9. Are you running more than one nvidia video driver?
$ lsmod | grep nv
Isaac & Young Computer Company
Blank ttys when using vesafb (vga=xxx)
You received this bug notification because you are a member of Kernel
Bugs, which is a bug contact for initramfs-tools in ubuntu.
More information about the kernel-bugs