Jujulabs: First design iteration

Maarten Ectors maarten.ectors at canonical.com
Tue Aug 27 12:59:16 UTC 2013

Hi all,

So far we got three responses. If you are unclear about something and hence
have not responded, then please mail either the mailing list or myself. It
is critical to understand which of our hypothesis is correct and which one
is not, in order to deliver something useful for you. Don't hold back any
criticism. We prefer to throw away our current designs and start all over
if necessary.

* The small startup design assumes you value cost and simplicity over
availability. If this assumption is wrong and you are willing to pay more,
e.g. 3 servers from day one, then let us know.
* HAProxy vs NGINX - Other proxies could be used, e.g. ELB on AWS, Varnish,
NGINX, etc. That is the power of Juju. HAProxy is the most mature Charm
hence that is why it was used.
* Is Subversion, Murcurial, BitBucket, etc. critical from day one? If it is
for the majority, then we can review the scope. If it is for a minority and
we can not include it in the MVP, then there is always the option for you
to extend the open source charms with whatever it is you need. The advance
of Juju is that you can add Charms, Interfaces, etc. as you please and as
such the whole community will benefit.
* Hosted Juju - Web based interface hosted by Ubuntu - we have this on the
roadmap. If it is something that is required by more people, please let us
know.
* Why is there no roll-back for the small startup option? Roll-back means
complexity. Our design decision is based on simplicity for the initial
usage. We are open for any suggestions though...

regards,
Maarten

Thanks,
Maarten Ectors