SSH to machines from add-user

Tom Barber tom at spicule.co.uk
Fri May 11 10:11:27 UTC 2018

Hello folks

IRC has failed me so lets try the wider world.

We have a multinode manual cloud deployed. We have juju add-user 2 new
users and also juju add-ssh-key for those users.

We know the ssh key works because

ssh ubuntu@<host>

works fine and we can sudo -i etc and do stuff.

But

juju ssh <machine number>

says:

ERROR permission denied (unauthorized access)
11:05:18 DEBUG cmd supercommand.go:459 error stack:
permission denied (unauthorized access)
github.com/juju/juju/rpc/client.go:149:
github.com/juju/juju/api/apiclient.go:924:
github.com/juju/juju/api/sshclient/facade.go:109:
github.com/juju/juju/cmd/juju/commands/ssh_common.go:257:
github.com/juju/juju/cmd/juju/commands/ssh_common.go:141:
github.com/juju/juju/cmd/juju/commands/ssh.go:117:

I've looked at the code and it claims we can

juju ssh ubuntu@<machine number> -i <key>

that fails with the same error.

If I tail the target servers auth.log there isn't even a failed login
attempt which strikes me as a little weird considering it says

permission denied (unauthorized access)

Which does make me question... what permission is denied?

--

Spicule Limited is registered in England & Wales. Company Number:
09954122. Registered office: First Floor, Telecom House, 125-135 Preston

All engagements
are subject to Spicule Terms and Conditions of Business. This email and its
contents are intended solely for the individual to whom it is addressed and
may contain information that is confidential, privileged or otherwise
protected from disclosure, distributing or copying. Any views or opinions
necessarily represent those of Spicule Limited. The company accepts no
liability for any damage caused by any virus transmitted by this email. If
you have received this message in error, please notify us immediately by
reply email before deleting it from your system. Service of legal notice
cannot be effected on Spicule Limited by email.