Disk ID for a provisioned instance

Andrew Wilkins andrew.wilkins at canonical.com
Tue Oct 31 05:53:14 UTC 2017

On Tue, Oct 31, 2017 at 1:40 PM Akshat Jiwan Sharma <akshatjiwan at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Thanks Andrew. I'm using google cloud platform. But also planning to use
> aws in the future.

For AWS, we tag the root disk EBS volume with:

   key=Name
   value=${INST_ID}-root

So if you add a machine in Juju and it gets assigned the instance ID
"inst-foo", then the root disk EBS volume will have a Name tag with the
value "inst-foo-root".

I don't know if we can guarantee that this will remain true forever, but it
hasn't changed in a long time.

HTH,
Andrew