Disk ID for a provisioned instance

Andrew Wilkins andrew.wilkins at canonical.com
Tue Oct 31 02:53:33 UTC 2017

On Tue, Oct 31, 2017 at 10:37 AM Akshat Jiwan Sharma <akshatjiwan at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'd like to automate backups for my server provisioned via juju. For that
> I'm planning to use terraform. To take a snapshot of the disk, terraform
> needs a disk id.
>
> Is there a way I can get disk ID using juju commands? Juju show machine
> only gives the capacity of the disk not its id.

Not at the moment. We'll need to extend the data model and update the
providers to support this. We do record information about volumes that Juju
provisions, but that excludes the root/OS disk.

On a machine that I deployed on google cloud platform the disk id is same
> as the instance id. Can I assume that the disk id is same as the instance
> id everywhere?

No, that's not a safe assumption in general. Which cloud providers are you
using?

Thanks,