backward compatibility

John Meinel john at arbash-meinel.com
Mon Oct 30 09:33:40 UTC 2017

So I think its fine for giving feedback from client against a controller
(new client, old controller). Though how often we want to warn, have a way
to disable the warning (for how long, etc)?

The other side seems more difficult, as far as 2.0 client talking to a 2.4
controller. We could start assuming we're going to deprecate today, and
just start writing the 2.4 client to warn if you're running against a 2.8+
controller.

I think as for what we actually *support* (as in, be willing to make a
release if we break compatibility) is possibly even only 1 minor version.

It is also interesting to consider how we convey to users of the API (aside
from the Juju client itself), that they are running against older versions
of the Facades. They know that they are when they connect and inspect the
available versions. So they *could* inform the user, but there isn't any
sort of inherit pressure we put on them to do so.

I think saying that we offer "we will allow clients that are <1yr old to
stay compatible with current controllers", and vice versa seems ok, and
doesn't seem like a significant maintenance burden. (we could at least
release a new 2.X if we broke compatibility with 2.(X-2).)

John
=:->