Relation scope clarification

John Meinel john at arbash-meinel.com
Tue Oct 17 19:21:10 UTC 2017

Ah, I guess that telegraf is actually gathering extra data from mysql or
postgres about database specific stats, and thus it should have a container
scoped relation because it wants to explicitly sit with postgres and
collect general machine information, as well as collect postgres specific
information. It isn't that telegraf is using postgresql as its data store,
its that it knows how to get extra statistical information about a database.

In that case, telegraf *should* use a container scope for its postgresql
interface. I wonder how that works when you have HA postgres, and each
telegraf connection to postgres is at least logically different. (telegraf
should care very much that it never connect to the postgresql on a
different machine and get its information.)

Is this a case where we actually need postgresql to offer up a
"pgsql-monitoring" relation, rather that use the existing "store my data in
postgres, 'pgsql' relation"
?

John
=:->