default network space

James Beedy jamesbeedy at gmail.com
Fri Oct 13 15:59:20 UTC 2017

I can give a high level of what I feel is a reasonably common use case.

I have infrastructure in two primary locations; AWS, and MAAS (at the local
datacenter). The nodes at the datacenter have a direct fiber route via
virtual private gateway in us-west-2, and the instances in AWS/us-west-2
have a direct route  via the VPG to the private MAAS networks at the
datacenter. There is no charge for data transfer from the datacenter in and
out of us-west-2 via the fiber VPG hot route, so it behooves me to use this
and have the AWS instances and MAAS instances talk to each other via
private address.

At the application level, the component/config goes something like this:

The MAAS nodes at the data center have mgmt-net, cluster-net, and
access-net, interfaces defined, all of which get ips from their respective
address spaces from the datacenter MAAS.

I need my elasticsearch charm to configure elasticsearch such that
elasticsearch <-> elasticsearch talk on cluster-net, web server (AWS
instance) -> elasticsearch to talk across the correct space for the AWS
instance, and the access-net space for the MAAS instance (I'm thinking this
is where bindings and '--via' might come in handy).

(I know the openstack charms have to make similar network mitigation, for
which they use the bindings, I must just be looking at it backwards, or not
looking into network bindings which are the key here I think)

For example, my web server charm in AWS will be deployed to a NAT
space/subnet, and will only get a private ip from the AWS subnet. It needs
to give the ip to elasticsearch (deployed in MAAS), and to a loadbalancer
(deploy to different model and space in the same AWS VPC) - this all seems
like there should be no issues with getting it to happen because the web
server charm only has a single ip address to be handing out, but what I'm
after here is a consistent way to be able to retrieve this information at
the charm level - but I think what you are telling me is that if I use the
functionality correctly, then I won't have to do any mitigating at the
charm/network-get level.

Looks like I need to take a deeper dive into the network bindings at the
charm level and see how that functionality fits into the bigger picture to
make the whole picture make sense.

Thanks