vsphere support

Serge E. Hallyn serge at hallyn.com
Wed Oct 4 16:08:21 UTC 2017

Hi,

I've inherited a few vsphere machines where I was hoping to use juju
to fire off openstack etc.  I've been trying to use the vsphere
provider (which I was excited to see existed), but am seeing a few
inconsistencies, so had a few questions.

The first blunt question - is this going to be a maintained driver,
or am I in 6 months likely to find the vsphere driver dropped?

The second is motivating the first - when I looked at
https://jujucharms.com/docs/2.1/help-vmware it says hardware version
8 (ESX 5.0) should be sufficient.  But in fact juju has a ubuntu.ovf
hardcoded in it that specifies 'vmx-10', which is ESX 5.5..  I currently
have 5 ESX 5.1 machines and one 6.0.

Even with a custom DC using only the 6.0 host, I have some (probably
proxy) issues bootstrapping, which I'm sure are surmountable - but the
answer to Q1 will decide whether it's worth pursuing that further, or
whether I should spend my time elsewhere :)

thanks,
-serge