Juju 2.3 beta2 is here!

Marco Ceppi marco.ceppi at canonical.com
Thu Nov 2 13:30:47 UTC 2017

On Thu, Nov 2, 2017 at 12:57 AM Chris Lee <chris.lee at canonical.com> wrote:

> A new development release of Juju is here, 2.3-beta2.

Woop woop!

> * Autoconfiguration of FAN networking for EC2 and GCE providers
>
> When creating a model in a VPC environment on EC2 or on GCE FAN settings
> (model-config fan-config and container-networking-method) will be
> autoconfigured, and container networking will work out-of-the-box.

This means we can get a hyper converged Kuberentes on public cloud.
Lowering our 9 node HA deployment to just three! I plan on banging on this
for a the beta to make sure there aren't any oddities.

* Parallelization of the Machine Provisioner

> Provisioning of machines is now faster!  Groups of machines will now be
> provisioned in parallel reducing deployment time, especially on large
> bundles.  Please give it a try and let us know what you think.
>
> Benchmarks for time to deploy 16 machines on different clouds:
>
> AWS:
>
> juju 2.2.5 4m36s
>
> juju 2.3-beta2 3m17s
>
> LXD:
>
> juju 2.2.5 3m57s
>
> juju 2.3-beta2 2m57s
>
> Google:
>
> juju 2.2.5 5m21s
>
> juju 2.3-beta2 2m10s
>
> OpenStack:
>
> juju 2.2.5 12m40s
>
> juju 2.3-beta2 4m52s

Oh heck yes this is a great improvement! I don't see MAAS numbers here, but
I imagine palatalization has been implemented there too? Bare metal can be
so slow to boot sometimes ;)