PROPOSAL: stop recording 'executing update-status hook'

Stuart Bishop stuart.bishop at canonical.com
Mon May 22 08:56:29 UTC 2017

On 22 May 2017 at 14:36, Tim Penhey <tim.penhey at canonical.com> wrote:
> On 20/05/17 19:48, Merlijn Sebrechts wrote:
>>
>> On May 20, 2017 09:05, "John Meinel" <john at arbash-meinel.com
>> <mailto:john at arbash-meinel.com>> wrote:
>>
>>     I would actually prefer if it shows up in 'juju status' but that we
>>     suppress it from 'juju status-log' by default.
>>

>> This is still very strange behavior. Why should this be default? Just pipe
>> the output of juju status through grep and exclude update-status if that is
>> really what you want.
>>
>> However, I would even argue that this isn't what you want in most
>> use-cases.  "update-status" isn't seen as a special hook in charms.reactive.
>> Anything can happen in that hook if the conditions are right. Ignoring
>> update-status will have unforeseen consequences...
>

> Hmm... there are (at least) two problems here.
>
> Firstly, update-status *should* be a special case hook, and it shouldn't
> take long.
>
> The purpose of the update-status hook was to provide a regular beat for the
> charm to report on the workload status. Really it shouldn't be doing other
> things.
>
> The fact that it is a periodic execution rather than being executed in
> response to model changes is the reason it isn't fitting so well into the
> regular status and status history updates.
>
> The changes to the workload status would still be shown in the history of
> the workload status, and the workload status is shown in the status output.
>
> One way to limit the execution of the update-status hook call would be to
> put a hard timeout on it enforced by the agent.
>
> Thoughts?

Unfortunately update-status got wired into charms.reactive like all
the other standard hooks, and just means 'do whatever still needs to
be done'. I think its too late to add timeouts or restrictions. But I
do think special casing it in the status history is needed. Anything
important will still end up in there due to workload status changes.

--
Stuart Bishop <stuart.bishop at canonical.com>