matchmaking a jupyter community, and a reminder to share your work

Andrew Wilkins andrew.wilkins at canonical.com
Wed May 17 01:37:59 UTC 2017

On Tue, May 16, 2017 at 9:46 PM Rick Harding <rick.harding at canonical.com>
wrote:

> Last week for the Juju Show [1] I played with Jupyter Notebook which is a
> great way to put together online instructional for code. It was fun to get
> going and I was motivated by a charm from a new author [2] I had seen in
> the new published api [3].
>
> What was interesting was five minutes after the show Merlijn pointed out
> that he had a charm[4] for it that he'd never pushed to the store. Then
> after that Andrew from the Juju team mentioned he was playing with it and
> had some layers and code [5][6][7][8][9] sitting around for Jupyter.

(Thanks Rick)

Hi folks,

I'm not actively working on these layers/interfaces at the moment, but if
anyone wants to pick them up and move them to an org then that's fine by
me. I'd then contribute later if/when I have the time.

> Clearly, this is awesome that there's so much interest around a great
> piece of software. The bigger opportunity is that folks can now start
> collaborating and really taking advantage of the shared brain powers of
> everyone out there.
>
> So I get to play matchmaker. Guiseppe, Merlijn, Andrew, and everyone else
> out there interested in Jupyter I suggest you get together. I'm excited to
> see what the combined power can bring to a great Jupyter experience.
>
> If you've got a charm you've been sitting on and not yet pushed to the
> charm store I really suggest you do it now. You never know what community
> is waiting to pool around chunk of work. They just need that central point
> to kick it all off.

On that note: yesterday I started work on an interface and layer for GitLab
Runner. It doesn't do anything except for install gitlab-runner yet, but my
intention is to modify layer-gitlab with a relation that will extract the
registration token from the DB and send it across. Then the runner can
automatically register itself. If anyone else is working on this/similar,
please let me know.

Cheers,
Andrew