juju deployed openstack nova-lxd cannot start instances

Patrizio Bassi patrizio.bassi at gmail.com
Mon May 8 16:21:39 UTC 2017

> Hi Patrizio
>
> On Mon, 8 May 2017 at 11:53 Patrizio Bassi <patrizio.bassi at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> [...]
>
>> 1) [minor] accessing horizon in the hypervisor list it is seen as
>> hostname without fqdn while other 4 hosts has fqdn.
>>

> Yes there is a minor diff between LXD and KVM hypervisors:
>
>   https://bugs.launchpad.net/nova-lxd/+bug/1521319
>
> however that should not effect things functionally.

Yes, it looks fine, but a bit ugly :)

>> 2) [major] i cannot boot a lxd image
>>
>> following https://jujucharms.com/u/openstack-charmers-next/openstack-lxd/
>> i imported the xenial image in glance by
>>
>> # glance image-create --name="xenial_lxd" --visibility public --progress
>> --container-format=bare --disk-format=*root-tar* --property
>> architecture="x86_64" < ~/openstack/images/xenial-serv
>> er-cloudimg-amd64-root.tar.gz
>>
>> i got errors like:
>>
>> 8446f64e0b504345b48673a3e3a328f1 35515180b8b646329e2caa2372250e0b - - -]
>> [instance: e4daef69-525c-4413-b39b-7df5e7822f02] Build of instance
>> e4daef69-525c-4413-b39b-7df5e7822f02 aborted: *Image  is unacceptable:
>> Bad Image format: Image  could not be found.*
>>
>> in https://linuxcontainers.org//lxd/getting-started-openstack/ instead i
>> see it suggests *--disk-format=raw* but actually nothing changes for me,
>> same error.
>>

> The disk-format property for LXD images can be raw or root-tar - either
> should work.  That error is propagating up from the interaction of the
> driver with glance - which might indicate a missing relation between the
> nova-compute-lxd service and glance?

It looks i have (i just replaced nova-compute with nova-lxd)

# juju status|grep nova|grep glance
image-service            glance                 nova-cloud-controller
 regular
image-service            glance                 nova-compute
regular
image-service            glance                 *nova-lxd*
regular

What else can i check?

> I tried with Trusty too, in case xenial image may have been corrupted,
>> same issue.
>>
>> So which format should we use for lxd, root-tar (i do think so) or raw?
>> And is lxd driver really working?
>>

> The root tarball format is the correct format to use.

Ok, fine...even if in https://docs.openstack.org/
image-guide/image-formats.html or https://docs.openstack.org/
developer/glance/formats.html i can't find that format

>> It was reported with a similar issue some months ago:
>> https://ask.openstack.org/en/question/101255/unable-to-start
>> -an-instance-using-nova-lxd/
>>
>> Another important issue is that lxd hypervisor seems to get scheduled to
>> run qcow2 images too, failing, but i guess this can be fixed by adding
>> hostgroup, i din't investigate yet.
>>

> Its possible to run both hypervisors in the same region, but you must set
> the hypervisor type property on all images:
>
>   --property hypervisor_type=lxc
>
> or
>
>   --property hypervisor_type=qemu
>
> Setting this value will ensure that when you boot an instance of the
> image, it gets scheduled to the correct hypervisor type for the image.

This is great, it'll give a try as soon i can boot a lxd image (now i just
disabled all kvm hypervisors so just a lxd hypervisor is there).

> Hope that helps move your forward.
>
> James

Thank you for support
Patrizio