juju deployed openstack nova-lxd cannot start instances

James Page james.page at ubuntu.com
Mon May 8 16:11:57 UTC 2017

Hi Patrizio

On Mon, 8 May 2017 at 11:53 Patrizio Bassi <patrizio.bassi at gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

> 1) [minor] accessing horizon in the hypervisor list it is seen as hostname
> without fqdn while other 4 hosts has fqdn.

Yes there is a minor diff between LXD and KVM hypervisors:

  https://bugs.launchpad.net/nova-lxd/+bug/1521319

however that should not effect things functionally.

> 2) [major] i cannot boot a lxd image
>
> following https://jujucharms.com/u/openstack-charmers-next/openstack-lxd/
> i imported the xenial image in glance by
>
> # glance image-create --name="xenial_lxd" --visibility public --progress
> --container-format=bare --disk-format=*root-tar* --property
> architecture="x86_64" <
> ~/openstack/images/xenial-server-cloudimg-amd64-root.tar.gz
>
> i got errors like:
>
> 8446f64e0b504345b48673a3e3a328f1 35515180b8b646329e2caa2372250e0b - - -]
> [instance: e4daef69-525c-4413-b39b-7df5e7822f02] Build of instance
> e4daef69-525c-4413-b39b-7df5e7822f02 aborted: *Image  is unacceptable:
> Bad Image format: Image  could not be found.*
>
> in https://linuxcontainers.org//lxd/getting-started-openstack/ instead i
> see it suggests *--disk-format=raw* but actually nothing changes for me,
> same error.

The disk-format property for LXD images can be raw or root-tar - either
should work.  That error is propagating up from the interaction of the
driver with glance - which might indicate a missing relation between the
nova-compute-lxd service and glance?

> I tried with Trusty too, in case xenial image may have been corrupted,
> same issue.
>
> So which format should we use for lxd, root-tar (i do think so) or raw?
> And is lxd driver really working?

The root tarball format is the correct format to use.

> It was reported with a similar issue some months ago:
> https://ask.openstack.org/en/question/101255/unable-to-start-an-instance-using-nova-lxd/
>
> Another important issue is that lxd hypervisor seems to get scheduled to
> run qcow2 images too, failing, but i guess this can be fixed by adding
> hostgroup, i din't investigate yet.

Its possible to run both hypervisors in the same region, but you must set
the hypervisor type property on all images:

  --property hypervisor_type=lxc

or

  --property hypervisor_type=qemu

Setting this value will ensure that when you boot an instance of the image,
it gets scheduled to the correct hypervisor type for the image.

Hope that helps move your forward.

James