juju 2.0.2 picking a random ip address from maas

Patrizio Bassi patrizio.bassi at gmail.com
Wed Mar 8 15:22:41 UTC 2017

It looks like it's not working

$ juju deploy ceph-osd --bind "management"

$ juju show-machine 0      shows
"message: 'failed to start instance (cannot run instances: cannot run
instance:  interface bindings cannot have empty names), retrying in 10s (3
more attempts)'

...than after some seconds it fails. juju spaces sees the spaces from MaaS
without issues.

without forcing bindings

$ juju show-machine 0
model: openstack
machines:
  "0":
    juju-status:
      current: pending
      since: 08 Mar 2017 15:14:55Z
    dns-name: 192.168.0.2
    ip-addresses:
    - 192.168.0.2
    - 10.0.8.12
    instance-id: abkgqx
    machine-status:
      current: allocating
      message: Deploying
      since: 08 Mar 2017 15:15:09Z
    series: xenial
    hardware: arch=amd64 cores=4 mem=8192M tags=virtual
availability-zone=primary

it looks a bug, or better, the bug: dns-name is 192.x.x.x but it's not
true, 10.0.8.12 is the real hostname provided by external dns.

Patrizio

> You should be using "juju deploy application --bind space" to declare
> which set of addresses you want the applications to use.  Does that not
> work?
>
> John
> =:->
>

> On Wed, Mar 8, 2017 at 4:44 AM, Patrizio Bassi <patrizio.bassi at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I'm quite new the juju and it's charms. On ubuntu 16.04 LTS I have juju
>> 2.0.2 using maas (2.1.3) cloud as provider.
>>
>> In maas I have configured (ready status) some machines, each one has 2
>> eth ports, one with a public ip (same as juju client/controller 10.x.x.x)
>> which resolves to machine hostname and the other meant to be private
>> (192.x.x.x) and without a public gateway for instance.
>>
>> When deploying any application juju gets the machine from maas and starts
>> using as public ip the 192.x.x.x one.
>>
>> I could not find any way to deploy using the 10.x.x.x, the guide in
>> https://jujucharms.com/docs/2.0/network-spaces seems not appliable to my
>> case (spaces/network are already correctly provided by maas).
>>
>> Can you please address me? Unfortunately I'm stuck with deploy
>> Thank you
>>
>> Patrizio

Patrizio Bassi
www.patriziobassi.it