Giraf demo

Panagiotis Liakos p.liakos at di.uoa.gr
Tue Mar 7 14:44:53 UTC 2017

Hi!

One really intriguing and fun example of what you can do with giraph
is the algorithm of Backstrom and Kleinberg [1] that uses only network
structure to order your friends according to their probability of
being in a relationship with you. I have implemented it for Giraph
(~50 lines of Java code) so I can share it if you think it is useful.
One drawback for a presentation is that I am aware of only anonymized
publicly available graphs, so the results would be something like node
'2' is very likely to be in a relationship with node '23', etc. But
you can always use results from [1] where they show that the accuracy
of the algorithm is surprisingly high (over 0.7 if I remember
correctly) and just focus on how easy and intuitive it is to write a
parallel graph algorithm that can extract something interesting from a
huge graph using commodity hardware.

In terms of performance, the giraph distribution features examples of
algorithms such as PageRank or ShortestPaths. So perhaps you could
show that you can easily handle a parallelizable task such as the
PageRank algorithm for a huge graph. Executing PageRank was the reason
that motivated us to use juju with giraph in [2], because the SNAP
library runs in single-core and can't handle large graphs and Spark's
GraphX requires 50x RAM which we didn't have...

--Panagiotis

[1] Lars Backstrom and Jon Kleinberg. 2014. Romantic partnerships and
the dispersion of social ties: a network analysis of relationship
status on facebook. In Proceedings of the 17th ACM conference on
Computer supported cooperative work & social computing (CSCW '14).
ACM, New York, NY, USA, 831-841.
[2] Panagiotis Liakos, Katia Papakonstantinopoulou, Michael Sioutis,
Konstantinos Tsakalozos, Alex Delis: Pinpointing Influence in
Pinterest. SocInf at IJCAI 2016: 26-37