Juju vs Openshift

Giuseppe Attardi giuseppe.attardi at garr.it
Tue Jun 27 12:13:16 UTC 2017

OK, but since I have been asked to help prepare a roadmap for the next 3 years for the evolution of cloud services and infrastructure for the Italian public administrations, I need to have both a clear picture of the current situation and to make an educated guess at the most promising technology directions.

My feeling is that one should promote a declarative modelling approach to cloud deployment, where one specifies the architecture model he wants to achieve, not how.
A workflow engine takes care of generating an actual deployment plan that leads from the current to the desired state.
Google director of network architecture, Bikash Koley, explains in this video why they use this approach in managing their world-wide network infrastructure (aka zero-touch networking):
https://youtu.be/5N7QS5vP68o?t=13m01s <https://youtu.be/5N7QS5vP68o?t=13m01s>
The approach is quite similar to Juju for cloud applications.
Openshift uses deployment on containers apparently in a similar fashion.

One really wants to hide the details of the underlying IaaS infrastructure to users making deployments.
Hence OpenStack could still be the platform foundation, but developers and users should deal with declarative deployment models and tools.

An automated deployment engine based a declarative modelling for a container platfrom seems what one should want.

—