Italian federated cloud runs Juju

Dmitrii Shcherbakov dmitrii.shcherbakov at canonical.com
Mon Jun 26 09:13:10 UTC 2017

Hi Merlijn,

As far as I know, this is only authentication federation. It might fit into
a single use-case but you will have independent clouds where projects don't
have anything in common on different installations (e.g. quotas, security
groups, resource limits etc. will not be synchronized in any way). VXLAN
connectivity between sites will not be possible in this case as clouds
don't know anything about each other.

It is a good project and I am definitely glad that they use our tools for
that!

If you think about the ETSI Architecture, Juju is a VNF Manager and there
should be a VNFM per site with an orchestrator on top in that model.

https://insights.ubuntu.com/wp-content/uploads/058f/Screen-Shot-2015-07-09-at-11.02.33.png

In general, there are multiple approaches to handling multi-site
deployments (each with its trade-offs) which are mentioned in a great blog
post written after the OpenStack Summit this year:

http://serverascode.com/2017/05/09/openstack-multisite-multicloud.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YCogWHREHA

https://beyondtheclouds.github.io/dcc.html
https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Fog_Edge_Massively_Distributed_Clouds

Just wanted to share that in case you are interested in multi-site
deployments and how does Juju fit in these.

No approach is preferable in my view as there are different requirements
and use-cases.

Best Regards,
Dmitrii Shcherbakov

Field Software Engineer