Does relation scopes need to match?

Cory Johns cory.johns at canonical.com
Thu Jun 8 19:33:32 UTC 2017

The original intention of conversations and scopes was to simply certain
interface interaction patterns where it may not be relevant or useful on
your end of the relation to deal with each remote unit individually.  An
example might be if the remote service is expected to have a leader which
speaks for all the units (SERVICE scope), or subordinates where you are
guaranteed to only ever have a single remote unit (GLOBAL scope).  When in
doubt, you can always use UNIT scope (which is the default) and treat the
list of conversations as a list of all of the remote units on the relation.

The effect of SERVICE scope is to merge the received data from remote units
on a per-remote-service basis, and the effect of GLOBAL scope is to both
merge received data from all remote units and to send the same data to all
connected relations.  The scope that one end of a relation uses has no
effect on the other end of the relation.

The error that you got seems like you performed an upgrade-charm after
changing the scope of the interface layer.  There is persisted context used
to associate states with individual remote units based on the scope which
does not deal well with such a change.  You will need to redeploy if you
change the scope of a interface layer.