call for testing: relations across Juju models

Paul Gear paul.gear at canonical.com
Mon Jul 24 10:02:20 UTC 2017

On 08/07/17 03:36, Rick Harding wrote:
> As I noted in The Juju Show [1] this week I've put together a blog
> post around the cross model relations feature that folks can test out
> in Juju 2.2. Please test it out and provide your feedback.
>
> http://mitechie.com/blog/2017/7/7/call-for-testing-shared-services-with-juju
>
> Current known limitations:
> Only works in the same model
> You need to bootstrap with the feature flag to test it out
> Does not currently work with relations to subordinates. Work is in
> progress

Hi Rick,

I gave this a run this afternoon.  In my case, I just set up an haproxy
unit in one model and a Nagios server in another, and connected the
haproxy:reverseproxy to the nagios:website.  Everything worked exactly
as expected.

One comment about the user interface: the "juju relate" for the client
side seems a bit redundant, since "juju add-relation" could easily work
out which type of relation it was by looking at the form of the provided
identifier.  If we pass a URI to an offered relation in another model,
it could use a cross-model relation, and if we just use normal
service:relation-id format, it could use a normal relation.

Anyway, just wanted to say it's great to see some progress on this,
because it solves some real operational problems for us.  I can't wait
for the cross-controller, reverse-direction, highly-scalable version
which will allow us to obsolete the glue scripts needed to connect our
Nagios server to all our deployed NRPE units!  :-)

--
Regards,
Paul Gear