OpenStack Telemetry Refresh (was Re: new ceilometer)

James Page james.page at ubuntu.com
Wed Jul 12 13:54:39 UTC 2017

Hi Dmitrii

On Sun, 9 Jul 2017 at 12:10 Dmitrii Shcherbakov <
dmitrii.shcherbakov at canonical.com> wrote:

Hi Giuseppe,

> First of all, thank you for looking into writing a gnocchi charm!
>
> There is already an ongoing effort from James Page on charming gnocchi:
> https://github.com/openstack-charmers/charm-gnocchi
> https://github.com/openstack-charmers/charm-interface-gnocchi
> <https://github.com/openstack-char%0D%20mers/charm-interface-gnocchi>
>
> https://review.openstack.org/#/c/475282/3/specs/pike/approved/gnocchi.rst -
> design doc.
>
> It is a reactive charm based upon charms.openstack.
>
> A lot of code is abstracted away by the layer:openstack-api
>
> https://github.com/openstack-charmers/charm-gnocchi/blob/master/src/layer.yaml
> https://github.com/openstack/charm-layer-openstack-api
>

> https://github.com/openstack-charmers/charm-gnocchi/blob/master/src/lib/charm/openstack/gnocchi.py#L89 -
> package installation
>
> It might be worthwhile to consolidate the effort on a single charm to
> avoid duplicate work.

We're already chatting - as
https://github.com/openstack-charmers/charm-gnocchi is quite a bit further
along we'll focus on taking this codebase f orward, with probably the
addition of postgresql support if we need it.

…

If anyone is interested, we'll also be covering this in todays charms IRC
meeting at 1700 UTC in #openstack-meeting-4 - I'm pretty confident we can
get to a reasonable v1 set of changes quickly (i.e. this week) for
integration of gnocchi into the openstack charm set!

[...]

> Not sure how many people care about Icehouse + charms nowadays but I know
> that there are some active clouds still relying on 14.04 + icehouse + juju
> 1.x so it is debatable whether we should enable the new 'driver' option
> unconditionally in new charm releases before 14.04 + Liberty go EoL from
> our perspective.

Yup - there is some detail to work out here; gnocchi o nly has context from
OpenStack Mitaka onwards so this does limit the scope of any support; as
the charms have a series aligned templating system, we can leave the older
style configuration intact and just move forward on the newer releases with
the transport_url option + the required notification driver configuration.

Cheers

James