Using Deb Proxy to cache Debs to minimize time starting-up machines and its installation scripts

James Hebden james.hebden at canonical.com
Thu Jul 6 07:25:33 UTC 2017

On Thu, Jul 06, 2017 at 11:13:04AM +0400, John Meinel wrote:
> I don't know if there are advantages to squid-deb-proxy vs apt-cacher-ng, I
> just found that "apt install apt-cacher-ng" and then setting the cloud
> config was sufficient. (apt-cacher-ng also puts up a web page at a specific
> port so you can see if the cache is getting used and what the hit/miss rate
> is.)
>
> John
> =:->

I've had issues with accessing PPAs using squid-deb-proxy due to the
default policies it configures - so it's good to be aware of that, lest
you spend a lot of time debugging a specific PPA only to find out it's
squid causing the issues.

I haven't compared against apt-cache-ng, however if you're not seeing
issues with PPAs, that would be a fairly conclusive test :)

James

James Hebden
Cloud Reliability Engineer
BootStack Squad @ Canonical Ltd.