Juju Snap Changes

Merlijn Sebrechts merlijn.sebrechts at gmail.com
Tue Feb 28 23:05:42 UTC 2017

Hi Nicholas

I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around classic mode. Classic mode
means unconfined, right?

What are the reasons for this switch? Is the snap still cross-distro? Will
the snap have some expectations about the system outside of the snap? What
are the advantages of an unconfined snap over a deb package?

This isn't strictly Juju related, but maybe you can shed some light on
this. I don't follow the project close enough to understand this feature.
Confinement was key to the goals of snaps, ever since the click days.. Why
the 180 now?

I would think that if an application like Juju can't work in a confined
snap, then snaps have an inherent flaw that needs to be fixed instead of
having the workaround of the classic mode. Paraphrasing the story I've
heard so many times: Snaps enable devs to push code directly to users
without having to go through the long review process of the distro.
Security and stability concerns are countered with confinement. Snaps
enable devs to package once, run anywhere. Confinement + frameworks makes
this possible...

Snaps without confinement just seems like someone just brought .debs into
the 21 century, and that seems very underwhelming to me. What am I missing
here?

Kind regards
Merlijn