Juju 2.1.0, and Conjure-up, are here!

Andrew Wilkins andrew.wilkins at canonical.com
Fri Feb 24 10:30:16 UTC 2017

On Fri, Feb 24, 2017 at 6:15 PM Adam Collard <adam.collard at canonical.com>
wrote:

> On Fri, 24 Feb 2017 at 10:07 Adam Israel <adam.israel at canonical.com>
> wrote:
>
> Thanks for calling this out, Simon! We should be shouting this from the
> rooftops and celebrating in the streets.
>

> Only if you also wave a big WARNING banner!
>
> I can definitely see value in pre-installing a bunch of things in your LXD
> images as a way of speeding up the development/testing cycle, but doing so
> might give you false confidence in your charm. It will become much easier
> to forget to list a package that you need installing,  or to ensure that
> you have the correct access (PPA credentials, or proxy details etc.) and
> having your charm gracefully handle when those are missing.
>
> Juju promises charms encoding operations that can work across multiple
> cloud providers, bare metal and containers please keep that in mind :)

Indeed, and this is the reason why it wasn't called out. We probably should
document it for power-users/charmers, but in general I wouldn't go
encouraging its use. Optimising for LXD is great for repeat deploys, but it
wouldn't be great if that leads to less attention to quality on the rest of
the providers.

Anyway, I'm glad it's helping make charmers' lives easier!

Cheers,
Andrew