Juju 2.1.0, and Conjure-up, are here!

Simon Davy simon.davy at canonical.com
Thu Feb 23 16:20:42 UTC 2017

On Thu, Feb 23, 2017 at 2:48 AM, Curtis Hovey-Canonical <
curtis at canonical.com> wrote:

> A new release of Juju, 2.1.0, and Conjure-up, are here!
>

> ## What's new in 2.1.0
>
> - Model migration
> - Interactive `add-cloud`
> - Networking changes
> - Conjure-up
> - LXD credential changes
> - Changes to the GUI
> - Instrumentation of Juju via Prometheus endpoints
> - Improved OpenStack keystone v3 authentication
> - New cloud-regions supported
> - Additional improvements

​One thing that seems to have landed in 2.1, which is worth noting IMO, is
the local juju lxd image aliases.

tl;dr: juju 2.1 now looks for the lxd image alias juju/$series/$arch in the
local lxd server, and uses that if it finds it.

This is amazing. I can now build a local nightly image[1] that pre-installs
and pre-downloads a whole set of packages[2], and my local lxd units don't
have to install them when they spin up. Between layer-basic and Canonical
IS' basenode, for us that's about 111 packages that I don't need to install
on every machine in my 10 node bundle. Took my install hook times from
5min+ each to <1min, and probably halfs my initial deploy time, on average.

Oddly, I only found out about this indirectly via Andrew Wilkins' blog
post[3] on CentOs images, which suggested this was possible. I had to
actually look at the code[4] to figure it out.

For me, this is the single biggest feature in 2.1, and will save me 30mins+
a day, per person who works with juju on my team. But more than raw time,
it reduces iteration interval, and the number of context switches I'm doing
as a I wait for things to deploy. ++win.

I couldn't find any mention of this is the 2.1 lxd provider docs, but I
think it'd be worth calling out, as it's a big speed up in local
development.

My thanks to the folks who did this work. Very much appreciated.

[1] well, you could do this with juju 1.x, but it was messier.
[2] my current nightly cron:
https://gist.github.com/bloodearnest/3474741411c4fdd6c2bb64d08dc75040
[3] https://awilkins.id.au/post/juju-2.1-lxd-centos/
[4]