GCE controller and machine IP's are not static

Antonio Rosales antonio.rosales at canonical.com
Sat Feb 11 00:53:12 UTC 2017

On Fri, Feb 10, 2017 at 7:12 AM, John Meinel <john at arbash-meinel.com> wrote:
> This is true on AWS as well, FWIW. But on AWS just a restart isn't enough. A
> full stop and start will change the addresses, though.

To make a stop in AWS I have to issue a AWS CLI command or take action
via the console.  In GCE however, I can and probably will reboot my
instance without any interaction from GCE CLI or console.  As a user I
would expect the default behavior to be to keep my same IP through
reboot.

Glad to see the bug is targeted for 2.2 I guess it missed 2.1 as that
went RC1 today. Of note Google Cloud Next conference is March 8-10
which would be nice to have a fix by then but may be behind other hot
bugs.

-thanks,
Antonio

> Note that if you're in HA as long as one of the controller addresses don't
> change we'll discover the others.
> However, if static addresses really are free on GCE we should certainly make
> use of them.
>
> John
> =:->
>
> On Feb 10, 2017 1:58 PM, "Merlijn Sebrechts" <merlijn.sebrechts at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> Hi all
>>

>> I want to bring some attention to a nasty bug on GCE. The external IP that
>> juju gives to instances is ephemiral. This means that the IP can be changed
>> after stopping and restarting the instance. This is obviously not what we
>> want.
>>
>> There is no cost advantage to an ephemiral IP so Juju should assign static
>> IPs by default.
>>
>> Bug on launchpad: https://bugs.launchpad.net/juju/+bug/1613823
>>

>> Kind regards
>> Merlijn